How to Cancel a Sears Credit Card and How to Treat a Stolen Sears Card

Post image for How to Cancel a Sears Credit Card and How to Treat a Stolen Sears Card

How to Cancel a Sears Credit Card and How to Treat a Stolen Sears Credit Card

Cancellation may not be as easy as cutting it with the use of scissors. A credit card may be cancelled by its title holder to curb his own extravagant lifestyle and excessive spending; and/or to protect one’s self against identity theft and abusive authorized users like spoiled children, a wife who is a compulsive shopper, or even vengeful exes. It also makes sense to cancel an existing credit card when it is unnecessarily costing money while being left unused or if a better credit card deal is made available. However, credit card cancellation has a possible effect on your credit standing. It is then important to settle all the remaining balance prior to cancellation and the remainder should be zero.

Contact Sears Credit Card customer service at 1-800-267-1660 toll-free and express your intention to cancel your Sears Credit Card. Pay the remaining balance in full before canceling the credit card. For added guarantee, write a short cancellation letter to the card issuer, this will serve as documented and recorded evidence of the cancellation. Furthermore, one can include the details of the cancellation upon the request of the card holder and not by the card issuer for purposes of credit evaluation. If necessary, do routine checks and follow up on the status of the credit card cancellation request. This may take a month to process; patience and diligence will come in handy.

In case of theft or loss call the Sears toll-free number: 1-800-265-3675. State the date of theft or loss, credit card details, and other pertinent data regarding the lost or stolen Sears Credit Card. Sears does not currently provide an online method for reporting a lost or stolen Sears Card. It is best to inform the card issuer immediately to prevent possible fraud.

Introduction about a Sears Credit Card

Business and purchase transactions are now made easier with the creation of the credit card. The concept of a credit card use has been in existence since the 1900s.  The credit card was not only meant to facilitate business in the retail industry; one of its earliest functions was to build customer loyalty and foster better customer service. Hence, Sears issued its own plastic Sears Credit Card.

Aside from the usual features customary to a credit card, the Sears Credit Card includes many discounts and bonuses plus a chance to earn points for every dollar spent using it. Shopping is then made more fun using the Sears Credit Card. This card can be used at Sears department stores, Kmart, Sears Auto Center, Avis, and other partner companies.

One has the option to directly apply at the Sears store counter for a Sears Credit Card. It can also be done through mail application, online through Citicard, and over the phone through Sears Credit Card customer service. Note that there are four different types of Sears Credit Card that address the customers’ needs. Choosing the type that will best suit one’s lifestyle and financial capability is vital in maximizing the benefits and use of this card.

Just like any other credit card application, one may face rejection or in some instances one may be a fortunate recipient of an unsolicited credit card offer. To some, these promotional offers may look appealing but to those who have a traumatic credit trap experience, these deals are treated with great caution and sometimes indifference. One must then educate himself about the rates, penalties and charges involved when using the credit card in order to steer clear of the credit trap.  Not bothering with the terms and conditions written in small print will most likely cost you or worse leave you sinking in debt. Even when offered without an annual fee, some still opt to cancel their Sears Credit card. So how does one go about canceling a used Sears Credit Card or an unused one for that matter?

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Marlene Mooney August 13, 2011 at 3:18 am

My mother has passed away and is a Sears Financial Master Card (points) card holder. As her daughter and executress to her estate I am trying to notify any company with witch she holds a card. Please let me know what I need to do to cancel her card. Thank you.

Administration May 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Hi Marlene, I’m sorry to hear about your mother. You can contact Sears customer service department at 1-800-917-7700 and let them know about your deceased mother. They’ll ask you about some pertinent information and upon verification, they’ll place your name, date your mom died, and your contact number just for documentation purposes.

maryuri Puerta September 6, 2011 at 9:42 pm

question :

I have an acocunt with you guys for a long time now, I am in a middle of a divorse, and my ex and I have an acocunt with you guys, I am the primary holder, I want to cancel this account, that I have with him. is there any way you can help me out with this.

I will like to continue with you as a member, but I want to cancel membership with my ex.

Administration May 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Hi Maryuri, your options are:

- since you’re the primary account holder, you can cancel your ex off your account to have you the only remaining person on this account.

OR

- you can apply for a new Sears card to start anew.

Lovona M.Parkhill November 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I wish to cancel my citi Sears credit card. I do not use it and do not want it.
Sincerely,

Lovona M. Parkhill

Administration May 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi Lovona, I wish that you wouldn’t cancel because you’ll miss a great opportunity for great savings because for every eligible purchases that you’ll make using your Sears card, you’ll earn rewards points that can be used to redeem gift cards for Electronic gadgets, appliances, airline tickets and a lot more!

ROBERT W HALBERG November 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

We would like to take our daughter off of our credit card account. Could you mail us paperwork to sign, or how do we take care of it?

Administration May 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hi Robert, you can simply give customer service department a call at 1-800-917-7700 to request for your daughter to be taken off your account and immediately your daughter’s card will no longer work. Since, I would assume, you’re the primary account holder Robert, that shouldn’t take you so much of your time for that process.

John M Haley January 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I wish to cancel my Sears – MasterCard credit card due to lack of need.

Administration May 10, 2012 at 7:12 am

Hi John, I’m sorry to hear that you’re cancelling your card. You can call 1-800-669-8488 and please be advised that you will be asked to verify first some security questions before you could cancel your card.

Janet Tapia May 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

My Sears card was Scam through my wallet, if there were any purchase on my card it was not me. My bank has also made a report to the Fraud Hotline. So please cancel my card, and send me a new card with different numbers on it. Thank you, Janet Tapia

Administration May 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Don’t worry Janet because the good thing about Sears cards is that you have $0 liability on unauthorized purchases if there is. It would be best as well if you have filed a police report so that you could provide Sears Card with atleast a police report number. To cancel your card and be given a new one with a different credit card number, please call 1-800-917-7700.

Lynette June 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I called 1-800-267-1660 which is listed on the web site to cancel my Sears credit card. I have had the card since 1994 but the voice prompt is telling me it is not a valid number. HELP!

Administration June 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hi Lynette, what I can advise you is to try calling the number again and make sure that you’re entering it correctly. If still it says the same thing, stay on the line to get a hold of a customer service representative and ask them to do a name search to look for your account.